We have Saturday practice (10/10) from 9-12, and the Occoquan Chase on Sunday. Carpool sign ups for both are in the Links to the right.
Here is helpful information posted to the list serve about the race:
Dear Parents and Rowers,
Our next regatta, Occoquan Chase will be held on Sunday, October 11 at Sandy Run Park in Fairfax Station, VA. This is a really nice venue for racing and a great opportunity for novice and novice parents to come out and cheer for our varsity rowers. This venue has a nice 20 minute walk through the woods and along the water to the Grandstands. The venue also provides rides to the Grandstands for $2.00. Make sure you wear comfortable walking shoes, dress in layers, bring a lawn chair, blankets, something to read, and binoculars. No dogs are permitted on the park during regatta days. Below are some helpful websites:
- Parent and Team Information – http://www.nvrpa.org/uploads/Files/Parent%20&%20Team%20Information%20on%20Regatta%20Days.pdf
- Course Map – http://www.nvrpa.org/uploads/Files/content/SR%20Park%20&%20Race%20Course.pdf
- 2000 Meter Traffic Pattern Map: https://www.nvrpa.org/uploads/Files/content/Race%20Course%20Use%20Practice.pdf
- General Operating Rules and Procedures – https://www.nvrpa.org/uploads/Files/content/Rules%20%20Procedures07.pdf
- Parking Lots and Trails – http://www.nvrpa.org/uploads/Files/content/SR%20Parking%20Lots%20&%20Trails.pdf
- Regatta Day FAQs – http://www.nvrpa.org/uploads/Files/REGATTA%20DAY%20FAQ.pdf
- Drop Off and Pick-up Traffic Flow – http://www.nvrpa.org/uploads/Files/content/Sandy%20Run%20Traffic%20Fl%20%20.pdf
There will be a parking fee and shuttles will be used when the parking area gets full.
The following Parking Fees will be used for the Chase:
FREE=buses and vans with 10+ people, volunteers, car-toppers, tow vehicles
$5=vehicles with 7, 8 or 9 people
$10=4, 5 or 6 people
$20=1, 2 or 3 people. This policy does apply to coaches as well.
Once the Parking Lots in and adjacent to Sandy Run are filled cars will park at the Vulcan Lot opposite the Occoquan Park entrance off Rte 123 and Shuttle rides will be provided back to the park [10 minutes]. The shuttle is free. Parking Information willed be sent via Twitter @GMUCrewClub
Address and Directions
The address for Sandy Run Regional Park: 10450 Van Thompson Road, Fairfax Station, VA 22039.
Directions to Sandy Run: To reach Sandy Run, take I-95 south of the Beltway, exit at Lorton Road at exit 163, turn right(west) on Lorton road, turn right on Furnace Road, right again on Ox Road (Route 123), left on Hampton Road, turn left on Van Thompson and follow it to the park entrance. According to their web site you can anticipate parking in the Van Thompson Road field. (Google maps says this takes approximately an hour from Blair)
Food, Drinks, and Volunteer Opportunities
Grilling is not allowed at this venue. If possible please bring your food donation in a disposable/recyclable container, if it requires refrigeration please pack it in a cooler with ice packs, and if you’d like to have any left-over food back, please feel free to collect it during clean-up as well as taking left over food/snacks for the trip home. Click on this link to identify your generous donation and volunteer opportunities on the Signup Genius website: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090d4aa8a72aa13-occoquan1
The rowers need to arrive by 7:00 am. Coaches and coxswains meeting will be at the boathouse at 8:00 am. The race times have not yet been released. We will provide updates as they are issued.
Finally, the Regatta FAQs are on located on the Blair Crew website. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us directly.